Posted by: Clint | 2009-06-24

Essential vitamins for gyming...

I need some help with regards to what vitamins are essential to increasing energy/muscle mass. I am a vegeterian and have recently introduced fish into my diet but think I am prob lacking so many vitamins and minerals because of being a veggie. What vitamins should I be taking if I gym 5 - 6 week with being a pescaterian and all????

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Clint

Eating lots of veggies is great!!! I don’t think you will be lacking much especially if you eat a variety of vegetables and grains (rice with lentils and other legumes). Being vegetarian you have to watch your iron intake (green leafy vegs & raisins) and your vit B12 (tuna/milk/yoghurt/eggs) – thus if you want to be on the safe side take a good multi-vitamin combined with a multi mineral (suggestion is 3-per Day from Solal). Don’t forget your omega 3 oils (capsules) and you will be getting sufficient omega 6 from olives/olive oil/avo/nuts and seeds.
Include 5g of glutamine twice per day – most abundant amino acid of the body as it will help with muscle recovery and gains.
Bottom line is, if you eat sufficient calories and get as little as 1-1,5g protein per kilogram of body mass you will still build muscle – remember there is quite a lot of protein in grains e.g. best is Quinoa. Not sure if you take protein shakes as that is another way of increasing your protein intake and you can even get that from soy protein powders.
Just on last thing – vitamins do not give you energy – they are merely the sparkplugs to complete metabolic actions in the body and therefore you need your macronutrients (protein, carbs, fat) together with the micronutrients (vitamins & minerals) to have the body function optimally!

Take care and have a great weekend!