Question
Posted by: MaryE | 2010/12/08

Essential Thrombocytosis

My mother had Essential Thrombocytosis. She passed away in July. What is the changes of inheritance of this disease?

Hallo MaryE
They think that Essential thrombocytosis is caused by a mutation of the JAK2 molecule in some patients and it can be hereditary. However, even people with no JAK2 mutation can develop thrombocytosis - so testing is not really useful. I think what you can do is to have your blood tested with your regular medical checkups to screen for ET like you would screen for high cholesterol or diabetes.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/08

Hallo MaryE
dr Bets