Question
Posted by: Nikki | 2008/06/24

ESR reading 120

Hi Doc,

I recently had a stiff neck and was experiencing dizzy spells and headaches... I went to my GP and found out that my blood pressure was 160/100. He sent me for a number of blood tests to rule out certain illnesses that could affect blood pressure. When my results returned I had a ESR reading of 120 - this caused some concern and i was sent to repeat this test two days later, the results came back very differently, my ESR reading was 26 and blood pressure had normalised. How could this have dropped so dramatically in 2 days?? Should I be concerned?? I dont have the neck pain any more but my head still feels heavy and Im still getting headaches - Should I have my eyes tested?

Please a second opinion would be appreciated!!!

Regards,
Nikki

Hi Nikki
Pain causes temporary high blood pressure – you could have had a viral infection at the time. I would suggest that you just check your blood pressure daily at the pharmacy for a week and take the average reading to determine whether you really have a problem or not. Normal is up to 139 at the top and up to 90 at the bottom. Also repeat the ESR – it may be that the lab made a mistake!