Question
Posted by: mk | 2011/10/10

Espiride/eglonyl for depression

My gynea prescribed me 50mg of Espiride for treatment of depression since I am breastfeeding my 4 month old baby. They said to start with 1 tablet a day, is this enough for me to produce results and how soon will I start to feel better? I do not need it for increased milk supply, it is mainlly to help me feel better. Is it really safe for my baby?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi MK

Sulpiride (the active ingredient) is excreted into breastmilk in rather large amounts - However, two studies found no adverse effects in breastfed infants whose mothers were treated with sulpiride.

Your doctor should decide whether the benefit of taking this medication outweights any potential risk.

Your dose is relatively low (which is probably as a result of minimising risk to your baby): It may however still have an positive effect on your mood. Give it 3 weeks and then re-evaluaty its efficacy.

All the best.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/10/12

Hi MK

All the best.

Reply to pharmacist