Question
Posted by: Jelly | 2005/07/04

Q.

Espiride 50mg

I am taking Espiride 50mg one capsule twice a day. My doc Prescribed it for me. What exactly does it do? What can I expect from it?

Expert's Reply

A.

Jelly, this is something you should have asked the doctor who wrote the prescription ( NEVER acept a prescription for a new drug without asking the doctor what it does, what it's side-effects are, etc ) and ALWAYS also ask the pharmacist when they fill the prescription. I have no idea why your doctor may have prescribed Espiride, as its an odd drug I have NEVER used in decades of practice. It is one I never even heard of in some other advanced countries, but seems peculiarlyu popular with some SA doctors, who use it for Depression ( though its not really a major antidepressant ) or for anxiety, or for confusion, or for many different reasons. So, sorry, I can't guess what your doctor intended with this particular drug

7
user comments
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/02/28

For me it solved my panic attack problems , i have been on it for about 2 years and for me it was the end of a terrible part of my life , only side effect i have is some vivid dreams and that's not so bad lol ,

Posted by: Lara | 2014/01/15

It's an anti-psychotic. It can help with anxiety and depression. I prefer it to other drugs because I can take it on an as-needed basis, there are no weight-gain side effects, and it doesn't make me drowsy.

Reply to Lara
Posted by: Blommie | 2014/01/13

My phychiatrist prescribed it for my anxiety Just started with it

Reply to Blommie
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/05/19

Have been prescribed esperide as a tranquilliser but it seems from comments that it is incorrect and outdated or unheard of. Should I stop? My sleep patterns are terrible but think esperide may have helped.

Posted by: Jelly | 2005/07/04

Sorry, I should have been more specific. My doc (psychologist) gave it to me i think because I have been very depressed as of late. She said it would make me feel better. I do feel slightly better. Thank you for your replies.

Reply to Jelly
Posted by: Liza | 2005/07/04

Its been prescribed for me before. Some doctors find it particularly helpful in cases of postnatal depression. I don't know whether it works for the depression - but it did help my oldest son since it increased lactation. He was a VERY hungry baby. I think that its sometimes given more as a placebo than an actual antidepressant.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Rose | 2005/07/04

Esperide is a type of tranquiliser come anti-depressent but some doctors don't recognise it as being in the anti-depressent bracket. I dont think its a true anti-depressent. I think its a type of mood stabilizer. Why did your doctor give it to you?

Reply to Rose

Want to comment?