Question
Posted by: Jelly | 2005/07/04

Q.

Espiride 50mg

I am taking Espiride 50mg one capsule twice a day. My doc Prescribed it for me. What exactly does it do? What can I expect from it?

Expert's Reply

A.

Jelly, this is something you should have asked the doctor who wrote the prescription ( NEVER acept a prescription for a new drug without asking the doctor what it does, what it's side-effects are, etc ) and ALWAYS also ask the pharmacist when they fill the prescription. I have no idea why your doctor may have prescribed Espiride, as its an odd drug I have NEVER used in decades of practice. It is one I never even heard of in some other advanced countries, but seems peculiarlyu popular with some SA doctors, who use it for Depression ( though its not really a major antidepressant ) or for anxiety, or for confusion, or for many different reasons. So, sorry, I can't guess what your doctor intended with this particular drug

17
user comments

C.

Posted by: Megan | 2014/08/05

My doctor gave it to help me cope with my migraines, vertigo spells and "anxiety attacks" I've been on it for 3 weeks now, no vertigo/panic. Apparently helps to lift your mood, supposed to be a mild antidepressant as well.

Reply to Megan
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/04

I was given this drug to increase my milk supply after the birth of my baby . I was googling it to see what side effects it has as the one side of my face occasionally feels "twitchy" and came across this post . I am now a bit freaked out finding it on a "shrink" page ???

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/19

I am also on Espiride to help increase my milk supply and its been helping. Am so shocked at the depression and Migraine treatments people are talking about

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/07/04

Espiride is a "happy drug" it elevates the mood, works far better than any tricyclic antidepressant like PAXIL or DEPAROC, or even PROZAC. I could get hooked on Espiride.

Posted by: Lola - 2014-06-10 | 2014/06/10

Hi All, I have been on Esperide for 7 years now and i must say it really helped with panic attacks and has really helped me to focus. I was an ADD sufferer and i find it has helped me to concentrate so much better since taking it. I no longer suffer panic attacks but it sure helps with my concentration levels

Reply to Lola - 2014-06-10
Posted by: alan | 2014/05/16

I take espiride, dopoquel and neuronton and am suddenly experiencing hair loss. What is the cause??

Reply to alan | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/07/04

Nurontin

Posted by: djl kotze | 2014/05/05

This espiride is not working 4 me so what must I do I need help

Reply to djl kotze
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/04/30

Die Cyber docter is n KWAK. Hy het nie die vraag gelees en reg geantwoord nie. Sy het nie gevra hoekom die dr dit voorgeskryf het nie, maar wat die pil doen. As hy nie weet wat die pil doen nie omdat hy nie ondervinding het daaroor nie , kon hy dit navors en dan geantwoord het.en nie net bubbles gehap het nie.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/04

Ja, ek stem saam met jou.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/02/28

For me it solved my panic attack problems , i have been on it for about 2 years and for me it was the end of a terrible part of my life , only side effect i have is some vivid dreams and that's not so bad lol ,

Posted by: Lara | 2014/01/15

It's an anti-psychotic. It can help with anxiety and depression. I prefer it to other drugs because I can take it on an as-needed basis, there are no weight-gain side effects, and it doesn't make me drowsy.

Reply to Lara
Posted by: Blommie | 2014/01/13

My phychiatrist prescribed it for my anxiety Just started with it

Reply to Blommie
Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/05/19

Have been prescribed esperide as a tranquilliser but it seems from comments that it is incorrect and outdated or unheard of. Should I stop? My sleep patterns are terrible but think esperide may have helped.

Posted by: Jelly | 2005/07/04

Sorry, I should have been more specific. My doc (psychologist) gave it to me i think because I have been very depressed as of late. She said it would make me feel better. I do feel slightly better. Thank you for your replies.

Reply to Jelly
Posted by: Liza | 2005/07/04

Its been prescribed for me before. Some doctors find it particularly helpful in cases of postnatal depression. I don't know whether it works for the depression - but it did help my oldest son since it increased lactation. He was a VERY hungry baby. I think that its sometimes given more as a placebo than an actual antidepressant.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Rose | 2005/07/04

Esperide is a type of tranquiliser come anti-depressent but some doctors don't recognise it as being in the anti-depressent bracket. I dont think its a true anti-depressent. I think its a type of mood stabilizer. Why did your doctor give it to you?

Reply to Rose

Want to comment?