Question
Posted by: Nic | 2011/04/28

Espiride

Hi Doc, after trying about 10 different prescriptive medications over the last few years and really not feeling any different (I suffer from anxiety, not depression), my phyciatrist put me onto Espride, which as I understood it was in place of the Adco-Alzam I had been prescribed. The prescription says to take 3 x per day whereas the alzam I only took when needed (like once every 2 weeks or so). I dont know if this drug works immediately, but I feel absolutely great ! I really really do...I was feeling awful 2 days ago as we were on holiday away and it was coming to an end and I thought let me try the prescription. I remember the doc gave me the same thing to bring on milk production after my first baby 10 years ago, but I never felt like this. Is it actually a tranquilizer like alzam or can I take 2-3 a day for a very long period of time as I finally feel this is the one for me ? I''m a little confused though as I have been reading up on it and see that with some it is very unpopular (sorry to say, but even the cybershrink on this site thinks so). Can you tell me more about it please. Thank you so much doctor.

Hallo Nic
Espiride is an "old" drug, so it has many side effects that the newer drugs do not have. Newer drugs are more targeted and specific. This said, it is a well used and effective drug and if it works well for you and you do not experience many side effects, this may be the drug of choice for you. I think if you use it long term the following should be monitored regularly (3 monthly): blood sugar, blood pressure, full blood count and have an eye examination 6 monthly. Watch out for signs of hormonal disturbances like impotence and developing of abnormal breast tissue, balance problems or tremors, and be careful when driving or working with dangerous machinery as it could impair your concentration. Not all patients experience all the side effects mentioned on the package insert and it may be that it does not affect you at all.

2
Posted by: Dean | 2015/07/17

Hi, I was prescribed Adco Alzam for only ten days, After finishing the very short coarse, I battled to sleep, Blood Pressure elevated dramatically, had this very dull feeling of impending doom, Is this normal after such a short coarse of these Meds? Was intern prescribed with blood pressure meds and STRESAM, but still feeling terrible, Was Alzam a mistake? Thanks

Reply to Dean
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/28

Hallo Nic