Posted by: Ann | 2009-09-17

Escape artist dogs

Please hep, do not know what to do anymore... dogs keep making holes in or under fence. Worried about their safety (getting hit by cars or lost) They get alot of love and attention so do not understand why or what I have to do to stop this habit?

Dear Ann

Phone Petsafe. They make electric 'fences' that will keep dogs away from the fence.

do you ever take your dogs out for a walk? Do they have a clear view of the street or are they walled in?

Dogs with a strong ' watchdog'  nature needs to see what is going on in their territory - which includes the street in front of your house.

Digging holes is also a sign of frustration - if they are larger dogs they could be in need of excercise, which you can do by throwing a ball and let them do all the running!

Good luck and I hope you don' t go the easy route and traumatise your dogs with electrical shock devices.

Posted by: Kate | 2009-09-17

Curious as to what type of dogs these are?
Anyway I invested in the " invisable fence"  for my dogs and it works wonders.
I will be frank it is a shock collar that the dog wears and if he goes close to the fence he will get a warning beep - should he go closer he will get a shock. Sounds cruel but it comes with a training DVD and flags to help teach the dog where the boundaries are. I have had mine for 3 years now and believe me even when my dog does not have his collar on he knows where the no go zone is and avoids it.
Give it a try

Reply to Kate