Question
Posted by: Bee | 2009/12/21

Escape

I am on anti-depressants and a mood stabiliser for BP II, altough I still think I' m wrongly diagnosed.

We are moving from CT to PE and my poor husband had to handle alsot the entire move as I am in retail and have to wrk til Thursday. I hate my job and just all the people and environment, so I am happy to leave.

The last month I have been feeling severly depressed, even wondering why I married my husband. Don' t wanna see anyone, don' t feel like living. Staying in my friend' s flat as husband already in PE and house in CT rented out.

Today I felt like I could freaking kill everyone and just go book myself into a hospital and lie there and die....I know its probably stress and that I need a break, but is this normal?

I don't like a patient to have significant doubts about the basis for a diagnosis that has been made of their problems, and prefer to discuss this. Generally, I would prefer the shrink to use an internationally recognized set of criteria such as the DSM4 to make a diagnosis, and then there is both a reasonable likelihood that another shrink would make the same diagnosis, that an appropriate treatment would be chosen, and that the criteria can be clearly explained to the patient.
From your account, whatever the basic diagnosis, you are under a great deal of pressure with the upcoming move, working late into the week, etc.
Many people would react as you describe to such a combination of stresses, espcially when they include so many unknowns ( new home, new job, new surrondings, etc ). It's often the sense of being unable to control one's fate that can be especially upsetting.
I discovered this when, due to the customary gross negligence within the Tshwane City Council, I was without electricity from Saturday evening through to midday Monday, with an unresponsive council impossible to contact, fridges full of food going off, and so on. And the worst was the sense that whatever you could or would usually do to put things right were impossible, through circumstances beyond your control.
Rest well over the Holidays, and make it a priority to get to see a good local shrink at your new home base, to re-asess the situation with you soon after you start to settle there

1