Question
Posted by: Lisl Rourke | 2009-10-16

es

I'  m 35 yr old. No periods for 5mnth. Blood result show no Estrogen.
Currently run approx 8km per day 6days per week + 1 x long run approx 15km once a week. Would like to have a baby. Please advise on course of action.

Hi Lisl

Your training by itself is certainly not high enough in volume to cause amennhorea. It could be an interaction with diet - you'd need to assess that in order to fully understand what is happening. It's possible that the combination of diet and exercise is the problem, because it's not exercise alone - there are elite women who run 20km a day and they're OK, provided their diets are very good. The key is energy availability - a lot of women are quite undernourished, and that energy deficit affects the menstrual cycle.

I think you therefore need to consider seeing a gynaecologist, and have it looked at. it might be completely unreleated to running or diet, and so you need a medical opinion first, before taking any action.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009-10-18

Hi Lisl

Reply to fitnessdoc