Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2011/01/24

Error in earlier message How to Calculate BMI

I did make an error when I asked How to Calculate my BMI.
I am in fact 5ft 2, weight 57 and my age is 43.
THe reason i ask this is becuase I am sick of people telling me i am fat. Yes I have gained weight and have developed a bit of a tummy. I started yoga only afew days ago to try and assist with this. I dont agree do diets etc, but am now watching my fat in take. I cant do things like running or aerobics due to an old knee injury - I find the yoga much easier to do.
I have to add that 3 years ago i weighed 45kgs and people then told me I was TOO SKINNY.............

Dear Michelle
Thank you for this feedback. I did think there was a mistake when you mentioned you height in the previous posting. If you are 5 ft 2 inches tall then you present BMI = 23,2 which is nicely within the normal range and indicates that you are certainly not fat. For an ideal BMI of 22, you would need to weigh 54 kg, thus a reduction of 3 kg which you will achieve by moderately reducing your fat intake. Yoga is an excellent exercise so keep it up, but add some tummy exercises like sit-ups to your programme to tighten up your tummy muscles. When you weighed 45 kg your BMI was 18,3 which was too low, so it's good that you are back in the normal range. I would recommend that you take no notice of what these people say - your body and weight are your own business.

1

Dear Michelle