Question
Posted by: Greg | 2008/09/09

Erection seems to weaken when I lie on my back

When I stand or sit my erections are fine but I seem to lose them when I lie on my back! This is most frustrating. Why is this and what can be done about it? Is it normal to get hard and soft and hard again durng sexual activity?

Secondly, I have read that you should awake with an erection in the morning. Is this when waking on your own body time or what. I generally dont have erections on waking and cant remember having done so being younger either> Is this reason for concern?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Greg
Night time erections are usually a sign that everything is normal physically and one of the questions we ask patients if they complain of impotence ( as the reason can then be psycologically or due to stress or relationship problems) If you don't get night time erections and it disappears with a change of position there could be a problem with either the nerve supply or the blood supply to the penis - thus a physical problem. I think it will be worthwhile to get an evaluation by an urologist.