Posted by: Anon | 2009-06-24

Erection problems

Hi there. I have a concern. Me and my girl had sex about once a week the last 2 months. The first three weeks everything was fine, I easily get an erection and it stays that way for quite a while. Now after that the last few weeks I still get an erection easily but, it' s as if it goes down before we can even start to enjoy ourselves, and when it goes down, I struggle getting an erection again that same night or day. In the beginning I got an erection easily in 15 minutes after each time we had sex. This is really bothering me, as it feels less a man, because it does not want to perform. The last couple of weeks we are also experiencing a lot of stress as we are almost getting married, and work situations etc. Why am I struggling keeping an erection or even getting it up after sex again?

Whilst there may be a number of reasons for this, when it comes to erection problems it is very important to have a physical check up first. Erection problems may be an early warning sign for quite serious health issues, so please do just have this checked out first (tell the doctor that you have had erection difficulties).

If physical health reasons are excluded, then there are a range of other factors that may play a part in interfering with the sexual response. Factors such as the side effects of medication/alcohol can interfere with erectile functioning. It may be that you are experiencing some fears about the future ahead of you (common just before marriage) (e.g. will I be a good husband, can I do what I think is required?, etc) or about your girlfriend being a wife...psychological factors can inhibit the sexual response, but also distract from the pleasant sensations of sexual activity. I suspect that after loosing your erection, you worry/feel bad about this and so try to 'will' it back - this only hampers your body's natural functioning...

Check out and address any physical factors first, then try to address psychological factors.