Question
Posted by: Chireen | 2010/02/15

-|- er Spaniel Puppy

Hi, I' ve just gottend a -|- er spaniel pup that is now 9 weeks old. I need to know the best way to potty train him. He is a very clever pup, so it shouldn' t be too hard, but does the whole rub his nose in it with a smack help? I don' t want to smack him... I do take him outside every hour for a walk around and then he does go, but because of the heat we live in, he drinks alot of water and does wee inside every now and then... please help.

Dear Chireen

Taking him out every hour and giving hi ots of praise is the best way but do not be too hasty he is still young. You can buy puppy drops that will attrack him to a certain area where he will do his thing. If you catch him in the act you can make a lot of negative noise, even a rolled up newspaper can help but smacking him afterwards is pointless

2
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/02/16

Dear Chireen

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/02/15

No, the rubbing his nose in it is absolutely of no use other than to terrorise him. Nor is smacking him going to help.

If you do a search on this site for, say, ' house training' , you will find a whole load of information on the subject. If that doesn' t work, try searching on ' toilet training'  - or other appropriate keywords.

Reply to Chill