Posted by: Paulina | 2008-11-24

-|- er Spaniel Puppy

i bought a 7 week old puppy, he is to cute and very clever, well he is 8 weeks today
my problem is at nite he cries a lot, he has a nice comfy big bed, with toys and so forth, he sleeps well during the day, but at nite he is terrible, he will only keep quiet if i put him on the bed with me and i dont want to put that habit on him and he is going to be an outside doggie.
he cries and then stops, every 1 to 2 hours
what can i do to help him
i really miss my sleep

Dear Paulina

A DAP diffuser is worth buying, hot water bottle, radio on etc.

Posted by: cokcer spaniel lover | 2008-11-28

hi there
without prejudice or malice - I would like to say the following:
-|- er spaniels are human beings in dog bodies
they have emotions, intellect,reasoning, a conscience and expression of feelings that NO OTHER BREED will ever have.
My spaniel is 4 years old and exactly like a 4 year old child would be.but she brings our family so much joy that is priceless. If you want a cokcer spaniel to be an outside backyard dog then I am afraid you chose the wrong dog - for the wrong reasons-maybe a jack russel or Fox terrier would be suitable but for heavens sake dont put a Spaniel outside - they are indoor human companions- they are also not keen on being alone without human comapny throughout the day specially outdoors . - they become destructive, (they will re landscapee your garden) and they may become aggressive.and suddenly the " cuteness"  people associate with a spaniel counts for nil.
They are also high maintenance dogs - their coats are long and silky ,tangkes and matts easily, underwhich they have another layer of dense coat which is close to the skin - Spaniels are natural water dogs and hate being dirty and grimy. Get fleas under that bottom layer of hair from outside life and your dog would be in misery.Outdoor life just doesnt do well with a spaniel- they are prone to all sorts of infections related to dust, sand, grass, seeds- bugs ,those ears are so silky and " cute"  but need so much attention or else infection sets in- I syringe, clean and sterilize my spaniels ears up to 2ce a week, they need to be deep groomed at least 3 times a week, their anal glands need to be cleaned and expressed- then they need to be walked or ran at least every other day.
because they are genetically designed to be water dogs - they would need regular trips to the beach or a dam- to do what their natural instinct craves - to dive, splash, plunge into any water they find.
when they dont get this - they become itchy and develop eczema -
Please Please - having a spaniel is the same as having a child - I' ve had them for years so if you are not going to be able to do all of this for your Spaniel- please rethink the matter. LOve him and treat him as you would your own child- and dont toss him outside into the backyard once his grown past the " cute"  stage - that just t be criminal - there is a saying "  you never own a cokcer Spaniel - a cokcer spamiel owns you"  (use it - dont use it).

Reply to cokcer spaniel lover
Posted by: Acineth | 2008-11-25

If you put him on the bed once, you' ve already created an expectation.

Please keep him as an inside dog, they cant poison him inside and dogs can be trained not to mess in the house overnight.

Reply to Acineth