Posted by: MK | 2011-01-27

equalising under water

Hi, I''m a freediver and struggle to equalise so can''t go deep. What can I do other than " cut out dairy"  (tried that, still stuck in the shallows)
Thank you, Margaux

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear MK

Your problem could be that of Eustachian tube dysfunction, making it impossible to equalise. No medication can cure this, and the usual short term solution to the problem, ie the placement of grommets, would be contra-indicated in a diver. You need an ENT examination, to try and establish your level of funtioning. If the cause is a blocked nose, you may benefit from the short term use of a decongestant, and a topical nasal steroid spray for longterm relief.
Discuss this with your ENT.