Posted by: Graeme | 2008-10-31

Epstein-Barr viral infection

I am a semi-professional tennis player (as a hobby) and am in excellent health. 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with glandular fever and Hepatitis. The initial stages were very disabling (something I am not used to!), but I seem to be over the worst of the symptoms now. In fact I feel pretty well again. At this point in the illness I have four questions for the Doc:

1) Where could I have got this virus? Some people have said it probably came from unprotected sex, but I don' t recall any sexual encounters (protected or unprotected) 3 weeks ago. Could it have been from an encounter even further back and been dormant for a while, or could it be from some other source?

2) When will I be able to start practising tennis again (basic/light ball practice) and when will I be able to participate professionally again?

3) When will I be completely non contagious to people I interact with on a day to day basis (not intimately!).

4) After how many weeks may I start having intimate/sexual relations with my partner again (without the risk of passing on the virus)? Are there any particular sexual activities that are more risky than others (regarding this particular virus, not other STDs), such as " messy kissing"  (lots of saliva), unprotected sex, various forms of oral sex, kinky/unusual activities etc...
Months ago I had begun planning a romantic getaway which now falls 6 weeks after the start of the virus, is this still advisable?

Thank you for your time,

Dear Graeme

Thank you for visiting

It seems like if you have a dirty mind and a lot of plans. Glandular fever is caused by a virus easily contracted by droplet contamination, i.e. an innocent kiss or someone merely sneezing on you. More and less the same way you will catch the flu virus. It is not called the kissing disease for nothing. Please refer to the following link regarding glandular fever:

Hepatitis however, is a more serious disease to have, depending on what type of Hepatitis you have contracted. Please therefore, be so kind as to advise if you have Hep A, Hep B, Hep C, Hep D or non-Hep D/E/F, in order for me to advise you on your other questions.

Kind regards

Posted by: Una | 2009-02-17

I have chronic swollen glands in my neck, and it sometimes feel that my throat is swolen too. I have fever most of the times. My doctor told me I had glandular fever and it repeats every now and then you never get rid of it, is is dangerous, I am suffering from athritis and a skin allergy too, is this all linked ?

Reply to Una
Posted by: Jo | 2008-11-24

My son has had Glandular Fever for nearly 3 months. It finally settled in his groin area which is taking forever to heal. He finds it extremely difficult to stand or walk for a long period of time. He has been under the care of a good physician but they arent open to natural remedy treatment. He has had so much anti-inflammatories and I just want to boost him a bit. Can you recommend any additional treatment or medication to help the groin area. Much appreciation.

Reply to Jo