Question
Posted by: XXX | 2011-05-29

Epilim, weight gain and antidepressants

I''ve been treated for depression and anxiety and panic disorder. First I was put on trepeline, then wellbutrin came along that helped with my anxiety and panic attacks (went trhough lotsa meds before finding something that works on me.) I was quite happy with that combo but ended up with 2 seizures in one month, which was due to wellbutrin''s side effect. So here I am stuck on Epilim since last week and that seems to have some crazy side effects. So far I have a double vision, trembling hands, difficuly writting and co ordination. I''m almost feeling like i''m going forgetting words when i speak and end up stuttering which embarasses me. Regarding the Epilim and weight gain though, what exactly causes that weight gain. Is it just the appetite or does the meds affect ones metabolism. Will i be ever able to maintain my current weight if i just exercise? The food cravings are insane. I feel like i''m always hungry.

Sorry for this long essay but thank you in advance.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Several mechanisms have been suggested, of which impairment of fatty acid breakdown by the body and a resulting increase in insulin secretion have been supported by clinical studies.

Therefore, an increase in insulin levels together with a decrease in glucose levels may cause weight gain, possibly by stimulating the appetite.

However, it may be that you have gained weight for some other reason.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011-05-30

Reply to pharmacist