Question
Posted by: Gert Jansen Van Rensburg | 2010/05/17

epilepsy seizures - pse help

My Daughter was diagnosed with Epilepsy since she was 1 year old. Today she is 23 years, married and 26 weeks pregnant with the first child. She was permanently on medication since childhood. She weigh approximately 80 kg. Today is the 15/05/2010.

Medication
She was admitted to hospital on the 12/05/2010, because of continually getting seizures 5 times in 3 hours. A that time she was using Trileptol 600 in the morning and evening the same with Rivatal 0.5.

Problems
She was monitored in the general ward and also a 24 hr EEG was done.
Finding that the disturbance was in the left Temporal lob.
She matched all the Symptoms of Complex Seizures.
The Staff in the Ward also monitor the Seizures and it happened whilst on the 14/05/2010.
4 Seizers in one hour and last approximately 2 to 4 minutes over a period of 12 hours.
Then the doctor prescribe Ativan to place under the tongue.
they moved her to High Care, at 20h00 on the 14/05/2010 and said that they will continue to monitor her. The next morning at 06h00 I fone the ward and they said she is asleep but she had a good night rest.

At visiting hours at 11h00, in my and my wife’ s presence she had 5 Seizures - when we call on the staff to tell them, they only say that it is not Seizures but just dizziness. We asked them what medication she''s on at the moment and they said the same as usual, but the Doctor also prescribed Keppra 250 mg in the morning and the evening and also Ativan if she get a Seizure, but it was not necessary yet.

Please we cry out for help and assistance, are we on the right track?
Gert Jansen Van Rensburg

Hallo Gert
If you are convinced that it was seizures and not just dizziness I think you must try to see the doctor and talk to him as she may not be monitored as well by the ward staff as he may think. If she is getting continuous seizures it is dangerous for the baby and for herself. She seems to have access to the right medication, it should just be given when needed.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/05/17

Hallo Gert

Reply to cyberdoc