Question
Posted by: Epileptic | 2008/10/21

Epilepsy questions answered effectively

The artical about epilepsy uses a lot of words but don' t say a thing!

Need more info:

Where does the " de ja vu"  feeling come from?
Why has my epilepsy increased from 2 per year to 7 per month?
Does my periods have something to do with it?
If it does: why does it effect the epilepsy?
How do I control it?
Can it be " fixed"  with hormone medication?
How do I stop it or get it back under control? The medication I am on DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The " specialist"  I am seeing just keeps on increasing medication levels.

Dear Epileptic
The dejavu feeling is because epilepsy is an "electrical short" in the brain and it influences the nerve impulses between the brain cells. Hormone levels definitely has an influence - more attacks happen during menstruation. It can not be fixed by hormone treatment. If the medication does not work you probably need to get a second opinion or be referred to a centre that can manage difficult epilepsy, like an academic centre. Doyou know what kind of epilepsy you get? If you let me know where you live I could maybe suggest someone to see for you?

1
Posted by: Epileptic | 2008/10/21

Hello

I have heard all the bla about epilepsy. All the lots of words, no answers, nothing saying, " electrical impulses....., electrical short........."  etc. But no one has ever been able to tell me where the epilepsy' s origin is or what causes it

I have had it for 30 years it' s only now - say for the last ± 6 years that it has been going " down hill"  untill now the latest set of " fits"  on the 8th of Oct. I started at ±  3 in the afternoon and it continued until about 4am on the 9th. Various types. From just the " de ja vu"  feeling or what I call false alarms, some minor " black outs"  to 2 x " grand mall fits"  (The first and the 3rd was the grand mall with the 1st being the worst - they were struggling to get me out) and the others being various types.

I know this because I live with my sister and she keeps good records of this.

I still do not know where in the brain the problem lies.

I used to get the " grand mall"  epilepsy only and then only 1 or 2x per year. Now I get all types all the time.

I have been on all the medication that I know of. From Epilim, epinuton, tegretol, Lamactin, Epileptin etc.

All they do is give me more medicine or take me off the old ones and put me on a more expensive ones !

I live in Port Edward KZN (3hours drive away from DBN) I can not drive.....

Does a radio have any effect? I have one on my bedside stand.

Reply to Epileptic