Question
Posted by: Donovan | 2010/08/23

Epilepsy Possible ?

My son is 10 years old and has been healthy since birth even though he was 2 months prem, my question is he has had 4 what appear to be epileptic seizures when watching TV or playing his playstation. The seizures are very mild and he is consious of whats happening before during and afterward when it happens, his focus area when it happens is that his tongue becomes very stiff and his head shakes slightly. My son has been on Ritalin since the age of 6 and took 10 mg and the first attck happened 3 weeks after we had to up his dosage to 20mg and then again recently 2 weeks after we had to up his dose to 30mg. Will the Ritalin play any p[art in the following condition or not, we have stopped the medication till further. My son is average weight and build for his age and when he was on Ritalin failed to eat anything until the medication wore off, he would also complain of headsches at times when on the medication.Could you please advise re the points I have made about my sons condition or possible coondition and what one should do ie behavioral monitoring, food etc ,we will be consulting our family Doc but I want as much info as possible. Would apprciate your valued input

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Donovan,

Epilepsy is a condition that must be treated by a neurologist. As that is not my discipline, I am not properly qualified to advise you. It is imperative though that you get a referral to a neurologist as soon as possible. The headaches may be unrelated, so once the epilepsy has been controlled, if your son still gets headaches, then I would be happy to help.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010/08/23

Dear Donovan,

Reply to Headache expert