Question
Posted by: Concerned mother | 2008/07/02

Epilepsy & Herione abuse

Hi there,
My daughter of 28years, who has abused herione, smoking it, for the past 5 years, is now in a rehab for 5 months. She had two seizure after 1 month of being sober. Then another few after 3 months. She has now been diagnosed an Epileptic and is on Epilum 200mgs tds for the past month. As she is not on medical aid she will only see the Neurologist on 01/08/08. She is currently still in rehab and will be there for another 18 months. Could you tell me if there is a link between Herione and Epilepsy?

THere's not an obvious and simple link, but heroin addicts tend to live a bad life-style and can have a number of other problems concurrently, and there could be a risk of brain damage, for instance if an injection was impure ( as they often are ) or if she overdosed and suffered some brain damage, and so on. In Rehab they ought to be able to provide competent medical assessment and treatment. It's not quite clear when you say sober, whether she may have also abused alcohol. There is also a risk when stopping any sedative drug, including alcohol, of some epileptic type fits in the withdrawal period, which might not necessariyl lead to continuing problems with epilepsy. But 3 months after stopping drinking seems a bit late for an alcohol withdrawal fit. And one is assuming that she has remained totally clean from all substances while in rehab.

2
Posted by: John | 2008/07/03

Concerned Mother

If you would like another response from the CS, you will need to create a fresh post as he does not re-visit posts that he has already replied to.

Reply to John
Posted by: Concerned mother | 2008/07/03

Thanks for the info. She has not abused alcohol, sorry what I meant is that she has been clean for the 5 months. She was smoking herione and not injecting it. She has never overdosed either. She has remained totally clean from all substances whilst in rehab.
Will wait and see what the Neuroloigist says ie if they do an EEG and cat scan.
Regards,

Reply to Concerned mother