Question
Posted by: Thembanie | 2008/09/23

Epilepsy and spaying

My Labrador is on Potassium Bromide and has not had a seizure for 13 months. She is 5 and a half and I would like to know how safe is is to have het spayed? If I don' t, are there any risks of cancer of other sicknesses in later life.? What are the negative effects of the PBr, if any? Thankyou so much!

Dear Thembanie

Safe to have her spayed as long as the vet does not use ACP as part of his pre-medication protocol. No other sickness or cancer associated with epilepsy. It is just strange that your dog is on Pbr and not Phenobarbitone. The PBr is normally used as a ad on therapy. It is a good idea to monitor the blood levels of PBr twice yearly to make sure the levels are not to high. I would discuss the use of Phenobarbitone with your vet or get a second opinion.

2
Posted by: thembanie | 2008/09/24

Thanks for the info on Thembi' s epilepsy. She used to be on Phenobarbitone, but still had seizures every 6-8 months. A second vet put her on the PBr, as it had no negative effects according to him, and if administered properly and with regular blood tests. Thanks for the advise on spaying - I' ll go ahead and have it done as soon as possible.

Reply to thembanie
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/23

I suspect you mean: are their cancer and other risks associated with spaying/not spaying. If I' m right, then yes, there definitely are, the health benefits of spaying are well documented and beyond doubt. Go right ahead and spay - the possible consequences of not doing so are things you do NOT want to deal with!

Reply to Chill