Question
Posted by: Nomathemba Mooi | 2011/02/14

Epilepsy

My child was diognosed with petit-mal epilepsy in 2005 with one EEG test that came positive and she was started on Epilim 200 mg bd . Since 2009 she had started having attacks of just starring and not responding for 30 minutes to one hour and each time the EEG is conducted it becomes negative, since 2009 she has had more than 8 attacks and all the EEG tests are normal.the dosage has been increased to 600 mg bd but the attacks do not stop. Do you think she does have epilepsy ? because before she was commenced on treatment she never used to have these attacks,the only reason she had EEG test in 2005 was because she had a learning disability and her memory was very bad.,and had not improved even though she''s been taking this medication.Otherwise she is just a physically normal child

Hallo Nomathemba
Epilepsy does not always show up on EEG, it is just part of the diagnosis. Has she seen a pediatric neurologist? It may be a good idea to get a second opinion if possible. I would also suggest to let her be evaluated by an occupational therapist.

3
Posted by: Cd again | 2011/02/15

Hi Nomathemba
the doctor in Unitas (Lippert) is one of the best pediatric neurologists in SA. Ask the secretary to call you if they get a cancellation before July 2011. Do an occupational therapy evaluation in the meantime - if needed they can do urgent referral for you.

Reply to Cd again
Posted by: Nomathemba Mooi | 2011/02/15

Thanks very much for the response. I have tried to get a paediatrician neurologist and I''m battling to find one, the one I managed to find is in Pretoria (Unitas hospital ) and the earliest appointment I could get is in July 2011. Do you have any refferals ?

Reply to Nomathemba Mooi
Posted by: cYBERDOC | 2011/02/14

Hallo Nomathemba

Reply to cYBERDOC