Posted by: Concerned Mum | 2010-08-22

Hi Doc. I have a 9 year older daughter who has been diagnosed with very mild epilepsy. She has been getting 1 seizure per year. This started when she was 4 years old. I have been to many doctors &  2 doctors in Pretoria - Dr Lippert &  Dr Du Plessis have advised me to put her on treatment. The medication is called Tegretol. However, I have been reading about all the side effects and I am very worried as to whether or not I should give her this medication. What would you as a doctor advise me to do. I am very worried and need your help. Can you also tell me more about epilepsy and what would you do if you were in my shoes. Thank you!

It is very important to understand epilepsy and I suggest that you refer to the following link:

If her condition is left untreated, she could have a serious epileptic attack with severe consiquences. I will therefore, treat her and monitor her closely for side-effects. Tegretol is relatively safe to use but I do suggest that you have blood tests done on a regular basis to monitor the Tegretol levels.

Posted by: Andrea | 2010-08-24

Dear concerned mum. for what it''s worth - my father has been on Tegretol for 27 years now, and has reported no side-effects. I have been on Keppra for 9 years now, seizure free, but I''ve got a different kind of epilepsy than that of my father, so i guess certain medications are given for certain types of epilepsy. My neurologist for example told me that Tegretol will not work with my type of epilepsy. But go for a 2nd opinion if you really feel uneasy about this. I can refer you to Dr. Marië t van Niekerk at the Wilgers Mediese Konsortium (opposite Wilgers Hospital). I''ve been with her since my diagnosis.

Reply to Andrea