Posted by: Joe | 2010-07-04

Hi Doc,

Any link between Epilepsy and hypercholestrol. I am a 47year old male and suffer from both.

There is no link between these two conditions, unless the cholestrol has caused severe arterio-schlerosis, where damage occur to the arteries that supply the brain. In a case like this, a stroke can develop and cause among other complications, a form of focal epilepsy. I need more history from you, like when the epilepsy started and when the high cholestrol was diagnosed. Once I have this information, I will be able to give you a more informed opinion.

Posted by: Joe | 2010-07-06

Thanx for the comment.

My first Epileptic attack occurred at age 26. It was diagnosed as" Grand Mal, Complex, Phyco-motoric" . It only occurs in my sleep but with severe convulsions, causing serious injuries like fractured back vertebra, dislocations ect.
My cholestrol was diagnose about a year later with a total count of 13.7
My last epileptic attack was in June 2010. My current cholestrol count is 12.5
Current medication: Tegretol CR 400 - 1200mg/d
Lipitor 80mg/d,Ecotrin 10mg/d, Nicotine Acid 1mg/d,Ezetrol 10mg/d

Joe Van Zyl

Reply to Joe