Question
Posted by: Toni | 2008/08/20

Epilepsy

My husband has been diagnosed with epliepsy at the age of 33.
his Dad is also epileptic, but has been controlled for the last 15yrs.my husband cracked the base of his skull when he was 21, but only had concussion.he is on epi-tec 200mg.once a day.the dr said he has tonic-clonic seizures. he has not had a seizure for the last 8mnths, but then had one last week.how do you explain that they are so far apart.he does have an aura before.how can he become totally controlled?he does suffer from severe headaches.what is the safest med that he can take for headaches but are strong enough.thank you

Hallo Toni
The only way to control epilepsy is by taking medication. He may get break-through fits if he maybe skipped a dose of medication or if he used other medications that influenced the metabolism of his epilepsy drugs. His neurologist will be able to advise him whether the dose needs to be increased or if there are medicines that he should not take with his current epilepsy medication. The neurologist should also determine the reason for his chronic headaches - is this due to muscle spasms or is it a kind of a migraine or does he maybe grind his teeth? This will determine what would work best as treatment.