Posted by: David | 2011-05-09

ENT - Combitnation of symptoms

Thanks in advance, for taking the time to read through my question.

I had 2 sinus ops already, one setoplasty and the other a baisc flush of the sinus.

A year after my first op, I smoked 2-4 cigarettes once off, never again.And basically after that my problems started occurring.

My nose started feeling empty.I have a daily battle of constantly breathing in and out of my nose, which makes me tired and unable sometimes to concentrate on work.

It feels like there was a loss of smell somewhere, as my nose don''t pick up certain scents anymore, which makes me heavily depressed sometimes.

Other symptoms also includes pressure in my forehead, heavy headaches and my ears feels stiff.They pop in and out alot.

If somebody can maybe give me advice as too what I can do about my situation, I would be grateful.

I have been 2 my ENT a couple times, but nothing seems to work.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear David

The fact that you had sinus surgery could indicate that certain structures where removed from your nasal cavity (turbinates, etc). This may have lead to your feeling that your nose is empty. The nose is filled with certain structures to enable a pattern of airflow over these structures which is necessary for a patient to experience the effect of an open, functional nose.
It may happen that the nasal cavity is to "open", creating an empty feeling as the sensation of airflow is not registered. Althoughsmoking is never good, it is unlikely that 4 cigarettes once off could have been the cause.
The type of surgery that you mention, does not involve the above, so I do not think it is applicable to your case.
Loss of smell, and the headaches, tend to indicate a preblem in the upper part of the nose, and this needs assesment. It may be helpful to consider repeating a CT scan, to re-evaluate the situation. It could be that there is a problem with the fronto nasal duct, or that there is an obstruction in the upper part of the nasal cavity. The nerve for smell is situated in that area.
You could also suffer from Chronic Rhino Sinusitis (CRS), which requires longterm management.
If you are not satisfied with the condition, ask your ENT to send you for a second opinion, or alternatively ask your GP to recommend an ENT with a special interest in sino nasal work.