Question
Posted by: lizl veer | 2011/08/03

enquiry : use of adco alzam pills

My mother received adco alzam 0.25mg pills on 2011-07-29 - amount 100. I''ve noticed that her reactions is a little bit " slow"  and did some checking, today 2011-08-03 she only has 57 pills left, which means she used 43 pills for 6 days. Is this normal and what should I do, must I inform her doctor who prescribe these pills to her, because for me (and i''m not a doctor) it seems that she has no control over using these pills in the correct manner. On the packaging it only stated :used as prescribed, but isn''t 7 pills a day a bit to much?

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Thank you for your post.
7 pills a day is definitely too much in terms of your mother being totally non-compliant with what the doctor has prescribed her. Alzan is a generic of Xanor which is a benzodiazepine and as such is highly addictive. Unfortunately the body very quickly develops a tolerance for this group of tablets with a result that ever increasing doses are required to achieve then same effect. We suggest that you canvas this issue with your mother as soon as possible and give her the option of informing her doctor that she is abusing her medication, failing which, you should reserve the right to inform the doctor yourself.
Wishing you the warmest of regards
The Harmony Team

24
Posted by: Anonymous | 2017/03/04

I'm currently studying and Dr prescribed only 10 tablets for me to take every night. Am I save?

Posted by: Monique Amy | 2016/07/22

I just wanted some help, im at the moment on Yelate 60 Duloxetine. Can I also be on Adco-Alzam. Im a little bit worried... Im 24 have 2 beutyfull kids (2) & (3) and an awesome husband. And I don't want to feel the way that I do...

Reply to Monique Amy
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/16

I have a husband that is on oxygen 24/7 he uses two blood thinners .he has a problem sleping at night due to blocked nose.He also uses cylift for depression .is i advisable to give him 0.5mg adco-alzam for a calming sleep as he has tremors while sleeping and it wakes him and disturbs the sleeping pattern

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/12/16

Can there be a bad interaction between cat and adco alz???

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/10/07

nope not at all

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/08/01

Hi There I need some advice. My husband is using Alzams to sleep, but when questioned about why he slaap so much and talk about the fact that it changes his behaviour he gets aggressive about it. He does not want to admit that this changes his mood and behaviour. How do I get him to stop using these pills without him being angry about it. I personally think this should be removed from the market.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/10/01

I agree with you. Should be removed. I have the same problem with my wife. She has been increasing dosage. I to feel she can be better without it. Never had issues with behaviour till she started using this Adco Alzam

Posted by: Madeleine | 2015/05/26

Alzam is a depressant and if you already suffer severe depression, this is not the answer. A good gp or psychiatrist should give you an alternative possibly an anti depressant. Discussing your fears and anxiety is better than taking pills which cause serious dependence. Wish you the world of luck and healthy living. I am a recovering alcoholic and tried substitution for booze, with tranquilizers and it's just ad serious as alcohol if not more so. Perhaps some NA narcotics anonymous may help you xx

Reply to Madeleine | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Marcel | 2015/06/01

Alzam probably is the worst solution. If I don't take it, I simply cannot sleep. However I am tapering myself of it slowly. It's only day 5 now but I feel terrible. Maybe I'm just a little impatient.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/05/26

Yes alzam requires more and more as you go along. It affects memory and and can have serious consequences when driving and under the influence of these dreadful little pills, which lets face it only give short relief. Cut down over a few weeks and replace with a bit of gentle walking each day. Do also confide in your doctor Madeleine good luck

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/04/23

I take 3-4mg of alzam a day and feel very aggressive (i do have the delayed reaction and slowness but am still aggressive on top of that??? I am severely bipolar and am having suicidel thoughts daily. I have a psychiatrist and am on other meds also but I don't feel he can help me anymore. I have 2 small kids and a wonderful husband but I have put them through so much that i won't tell anybody about this and don't know what to do?...... Please give me advice

Reply to Anonymous | 3 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/04/27

Please email me instead. I'm no doctor buta sahm. Perhaps initiating talk and support will help us get through this.noelle252123@gmail.com

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/04/27

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/04/27

I am. So sorry you're going through this! I'm in the same situation. It's as though I had written that post myself. We should talk. How do I message you??

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/01/21

Does alzam cause issues with ones eyesight

Posted by: Jacques | 2014/09/05

Can one drive a vehicle while on this medication? My wife's actions are slow when she is on this medication and my concern is that she drives around as usual with the kids etc.

Reply to Jacques
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/02

Hi there I am 22 years old. I am constantly nervous and gittery, emotional, anxious and I don't know what to do. My mom gave me her adco-alzam to help cope with it and it the really helps, but I am 22 years old and I exercise and live a healthy live I am really tired of feeling like this. Please someone help me!

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Lance Aron | 2016/04/19

Dear friend I am 55 and have suffered my entire life with anxiety and depression.See a doctor and discuss with your doctor .Also see a Psychologist and try exercise as often as you can prefrably 5 times a week .I do walking.I am a businessman and Pastor and have learned how to cope with Anxiety an depression.Also I suggest you view some of my Sermons on Facr book called yourstoryunedited where I have a self help Christian based practical sermons .MAssage therapy is very good to calm you and you can have this at the universities in SA at the Department of Somatolgy and is affordable.I have written a book called 2 Billion seconds to live your dream my journey through life with Anxiety and depression and you can improve by 80% if you have the righ medication and thge other things I ahve mentioned .Psychotherapy will help yu very much to find the underlying causes that worsen your anxiety.You can email me for advice on info@thewayofjesusministries.com.I live in Hout Bay Cape Town and would like to help you online through my writing.I have a weekly newsletter that you may want if I have your email address

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/06/05

I was wondering how to cut down as stopping some substances can kill you. how would you wean yourself off adco alzam, lower dosage over a period of weeks or days or cold turkey. I am till on the first bottle but don't want the crutch.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/03/20

I'm type 2 diebetic , can I take adco -alzam?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/01/14

Posted by: nora L | 2011/11/03

Can Adco Alzam and Pur Blocka 40mg cause dramatic overweight problems? I went through a bad divorse seven years ago and have been using these pills since that time. I gained 27 kg in 7 years. When I go on dieet II battle to loose weight. My eyesight are also not what it used to be.

Reply to nora L
Posted by: Addictions expert | 2011/08/22

Thank you for your post.
Wishing you the warmest of regards
The Harmony Team

Reply to Addictions expert
Posted by: XXX | 2011/08/05

Hi There

I would be very careful when using benzodiazepines. I used to be on all sorts of medication for major depression and anxiety and panic disorder, alzam/xanex/xanor etc being one of them. Everyone is different but one can get addicted to them and the withdraw is almost the same as the symptoms that got one to take this meds in first place..Like in my case, one can develop a tolerance to this tranquiliser. I would take 5mg all at once and still feel as anxious where''s my mom would take 0.25mg and she would struggle to keep her eyes open..It seems your mom is taking 1.75mg in a day and she can increase doses when not controlled...From what I know, alzam and other benzodiazepines should be used for max 8 week treatment as tolerance will develop. It''s very easy to abuse this medication and coming off it makes one very irritable, anxious, restless, agressive. I would keep this meds away from your mom and only give her allowed dose...From my own experience after going through alot and being put constantly on new meds, year later I''ve realised how the meds damaged me even though it made me ''numb'' for a while...i''ve put on alot of weight, had seizures, experienced meds withdraw, turned to cocaine and CAT abuse, basically replacing one addiction with another. Don''t get me wrong, meds is a great quick fix and can stabilise a person for a while, but if i knew what I know today (did alot of research on psychotropics) I would rather turn to more natural ways like health shop meds (GABA pills at health shops have the same effect as alzam even though not as instant...will have to take it for few weeks so it builds up in your system), diet change (some carbs and simple sugars, caffeine, alcohol can cause anxiety), exercise...Alzam is fairly cheap and acts fast unlike more natural products, and humans these days being so impatient go for convinience.My point to your mom: try to keep this kind of meds to minimum to avoid lifelong addiction/abuse, additional mental problems due to meds affecting chemical balance.

Reply to XXX