Posted by: costs involved | 2008-12-08

Hello there,

Mine is just a short question. I am thinking of going to see someone as I have a few emotional issues I need to deal with. I just wanted to know how much can it cost per session to go see someone.

Thanks your help would be greatly appreciated.

C*bershrink is me ! Yesterday afternoon, stuck for a time at a mall, I popped into a Telkom store and logged in to try to respond to some messages while waiting, but couldn't enter via my usual Experts admin area.

Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008-12-09

I see a (clinical) psychologist, in my closest city, which costs R500 per 50-min session. It can often be less in smaller towns, more in big cities, and it varies from person to person. It also may vary if you want to see a counselling psychologist (if you don' t have psychiatric problems).

If you see a social worker who does counselling, it can cost quite a bit less, but I couldn' t guess how much now, as I haven' t seen one for a while. If you belong to a church, quite a few ministers are great at couselling. It depends on what you need or want.

In the past I have been able to see an intern psychologist at our local (training psychiatric) hospital and it was completely free and very helpful  I could really talk with the person I saw there. You can sometimes find the same service at a university. Depends where you live, obviously.

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: C*bershrink | 2008-12-08

Try calling FAMSA ( whose number ought to be in your phone book ) who can advise on counsellors in your area and probable costs

Reply to C*bershrink