Posted by: Tess | 2009-05-12

Enough Sleep?

I' m a 40 year old woman. Since I was a little girl, I' ve been a " night owl"  - my dad used to get really annoyed because I' d stay up reading till after midnight on weekends as a teen (and sleep till 10!)

Now, I find that I bounce between bouts of LOTS of sleep and others with little sleep. I' m a very creative person and when I' m feeling inspired, I can stay up working on my crafts until 2 or 3 in the morning for 3 or 4 nights in a row, then I have two or three " early"  (10:30pm) nights to catch up again.

As a mom, who must get up to get children to school before work, I have learned to control myself and I try to do my creative work on Thursday-Saturday night, and go to bed earlier on work nights. Even so, my normal bedtime is about midnight and I wake at about 5:30am. Usually, I feel tired when I wake up, but within an hour, I' m perky and normal. On a weekend, I will very occasionally have a nap at about midday, for an hour, but mostly, I don' t sleep during the day and I feel fine.

I keep arguing (still mostly with my dad) that my creativity is relaxing, and when I' m feeling creative and I go to bed late, I don' t need the extra sleep - I feel more rested after a late creative night than I do with an early night after watching television or reading. He says I' m kidding myself.

What do you think?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

It sounds like you might be a "night owl", as opposed to a "morning lark". Some people function better at night, and others in the early morning. This just depends on how your body's "clock" works. The biggest problem is when a "morning lark" marries a "night owl" - then you will never get to see each other in bed. Otherwise it is considered a normal variant - as long as you are functioning properly during the day.