Posted by: Kim | 2009-03-22

Enough exercise?

Hi Doc,

I' ve recently started walking for 30 minutes everyday (Monday to Friday). On weekends I' m quite lazy but I busy myself with cooking and washing... General housework. I am going to start jogging on Saturday and Sunday mornings as I now have a jogging buddy. My question is, am I getting enough exercise? I' d like to add Tae Bo to the lot when I' m a bit fitter. I' m 22 years old, female, 1.75cm and 56kgs. I just mainly want to burn a bit a fat around my hips (quite fatty there). Am I right to do walking/jogging at a cardio to burn fat?

Hi Kim

Enough for what? "Enough" is always relative, even when the goal is weight loss or fat burning. What works for one person is not necessarily going to be enough for another.

Given that you're not overweight, you won't see huge progress - it becomes more and more difficult to lose weight as you get nearer and nearer your goal weight.

FOr now, you're doing plenty, and I wouldn't add anymore right now. You're already adding the jogging, so just give your body a chance to adapt to it. Once you've done that and gotten used to it, then add the taebo.

Also, I'd suggest you find a race or a goal that you can aim for - maybe a 10km one at some stage. If you focus on getting fitter in your running, then you'll see the rest happen naturally.