Question
Posted by: blossom | 2008/09/02

enough exercise

i am turning 52 in october and have always keep fairly fit. my exercise now consists of (in total) walking about 7-8 kilometres a week and some floor exercises. is this adequate for a person of my age?

Hi Blossom

That is unfortunately a question that I can't answer accurately, because there are too many factors affecting it to be able to say yes or no. Even defining "adequate" is difficult, because the goal might be different for one person to the next.

I'm not sure how you build those 7 - 8 km a week. Is that 2 walks of 4 km, or is it 4 walks of 2km, for example? I'd say that you probably want to aim for 4 sessions a week ,and each one should be about 30 to 45 minutes. So if you can increase this to 3 or maybe 4km a day, times 4 walks a week, then you'll be much closer to the ideal. I don't think that should be too difficult. The floor exercises keep going as usual, but it's just a slight increase in the walking that will help, for general fitness purposes.