Question
Posted by: dw | 2011/02/11

enough?

Hi. My current training programme per week is 2 spinning classes and 3 hourly runs on the road. I also do strength work of 45 minutes every morning focusing on 2 body parts a day. I feel Im not doing enough, because Im not toning up. The weight/body fat/blood pressure machine at the gym says I have put on weight and body fat. My diet is very good. I have been gyming for 20 years but have decided to change my routine in the last month and add extra cardio... but still no difference. Please help. Thanks.

Hi dw

I wouldn't worry too much about the machine, at least not now. Give it some time. You've only been on this new plan for a month, and sometimes that's too short to see changes. In fact, sometimes in the first month, you will gain weight because lean mass and plasma volume rise as you increase training load, so you might just be measuring that.

You're certainly training a lot though. If I calculate correctly, you're doing 10 sessions a week, minimum. What you might need to look at is the intensity of some of those sessions. When you do that much training, it's sometimes difficult to train hard - and intensity is important. You might want to take one day a week and make it a shorter session, but go a little harder than usual. Heavier weights, but fewer reps. Or a 45 minute run, but faster, broken into intervals, for example.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/18

Hi dw

Reply to fitnessdoc