Question
Posted by: ann | 2008/08/20

enometrial ablasion

I went to see my dr about heavy bleeding every month and she suggested that i go for an endometrial ablasion. Can you tell me more about it? What is the side effects? I am 36, already have 3 children and feel i am too young for a historectomy. I have struggled enough and need this problem to go away. What else would you suggest?

Dear Ann
It is removal of the lining of the uterus lining with heat or laser. This will in most people stop menstruation or make it very light. You may not fall pregnant after having an endometrial ablation so a sterilization should preferably also be done. See http://women.webmd.com/endometrial-ablation-16200

3
Posted by: Belinda | 2008/08/21

Hi Annie

I know what you mean. I must say, I did need help because I could not lift the kids or drive or even stand long enough to prepare a meal. Our church provided suppers for us for a full 2 weeks and the 3rd week we had take aways. Your medical aid may pay for a nurse to come and help you. My kids were 6,4 and 12months - so there was no way to do it without help.

I know with the ablation, the recovery time is 24-48hours.

I did not pick up any weight - in fact initially I lost 5kgs.

Reply to Belinda
Posted by: annie | 2008/08/21

Hi Belinda, thanks for that. i am just worried, because it is such a big step and i am such a busy mommy. I have practically no support here (we stay in NZ). I am just so fed up with bleeding. Is it true that you pick up weight if you have a hysterectomy? I am already about 10kg overwieght, and would dread putting on more. I am seeing the gynie the 2 Sept. We will take it from there.

Reply to annie
Posted by: Belinda | 2008/08/20

Hi Ann

I am your age and also have 3 kids and had the same problem - but I also bled every 21 days for 12 days - so my gynie said I would still bleed every 21 days for 12 days but much less. That did not appeal to me and I had an adbdominal hysterectomy on the 3rd march. It was very painful and I took 3 full weeks before I was comfortable to move around, but now it is bliss. Once I healed I have not had any problems at all. My ovaries were not removed, so my hormones are exactly the same as before.

Belinda

Reply to Belinda