Question
Posted by: Sandra | 2011-12-03

enlarged heart

My mother (78years old) has an enlarged heart. She''s very tired, she could hardly get up in the mornings. She is on high blood pressure medication. She was in hospital about two weeks ago where they gave her 2units of blood. Her hb was 6-7 and is 10+ now.
My question is: will it get better with more specific medicine for the heart or is it just her age and normal aging?
Sintiche

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Sandra. It sounds like your mother’s tiredness is at least partly due to anaemia. She should therefore feel much better having had two units of blood. However please remember it is important to find out why she is anaemic and treat the cause, rather than simply treat the symptoms by giving her blood. It is also important to find out why the heart muscle is enlarged. My advice would be to see a general physician or a cardiologist who can arrange an echocardiogram (to establish why her heart is enlarged), and also do tests to find out why she is anaemic. If her heart muscle is weak then she should feel a lot better with proper drug therapy. Just being 78 years old is not enough reason to be so tired!

Best wishes. JT.