Question
Posted by: Lerato N | 2010-05-29

Enlarge tonsil - tonsillitis

I have suffering from tonsillitis in d past 5 yrs last year thats when I realised dat my right tonsil is alway big and accompanied with headache and pains on my nek and right arm. i consulted with an ENT specialist whom i did develop a sense of trust based on d manner dat he handled he just said u need 2 take it. i asked about d best procedure and his answer was do not wory about d procedure. he did not give me d cons and prons of d procedure. i am concerned cause d situation is not looking good. pls advise.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Lerato N

Removing tonsils after the age of four years is done if the tonsils give problems. Younger children are evaluated according to there problem, and if it is advisable to have them removed.
In your case, there is a clear reason, ie the one tonsil seeming larger than the other. Also you have been having regular episodes for the past five years, indicating enough reason to remove the tonsils. Tonsils may enlarge due to regular infections, but very rarely it may be because of a growth in the tonsil. For this reason they should be sent for histological examination after removal. (the tonsils are examined under a microscope to establish the cause for enlargement. )
Reasons for removal:
1. Recurrent infections
2. Possible growth in the tonsil
3. Complicatoins due to recurrent infections, such as an abcess next to the tonsil, which may affect the neck
(para tonsillar abcess)
4. Improvement of your symptoms /complaints

Possible side effects of the procedure:

1. Problems with anaesthetic (this goes for any procedure) Your anaethetist will take a good history and do
an appropriate examination to counter this
2. Post operative bleeding (may require taking the patient back to theatre to control this)
3. Post operative pain (considered very painful in adults, you will need to take pain medication for at least 7-10 days after the procedure)

If you need more information, discuss this with your ENT.