Question
Posted by: Muz | 2008/09/03

Enhanced or Natural products?

I used to use the well known gym nutrition products. I started gaining muscle well but then hit a barrier. I took a break for about a week to change my routine but then i started getting very fatigued and also started having dizzy spells. A physician suggested that it may be the products that artificially stimulated hormones in my body (Adrenal glands, growth hormone etc) and thus my body has stopped producing the hormones as the body perceived that it is at the required level. He suggested i take time to recover and consider using natural/herbal products instead as they will use my natural hormone production.

I am a person who gains very hard but loses very quickly. I managed to get myself up to about 70kg with minimal body fat. I now am back down to about 60kg (still no body fat). I have lost all that i gained and i stopped training in january 2008.

My goal weight is 75 - 80kg of lean muscle. What products should i use? When, how and how much should i use the products?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Muz

As I do not exactly know which products you used I cannot give you an answer with regards thereto, however, you need to understand that the first step is always your diet!
You are not seeing results as you are most probably under eating! You need to start by calculating what your daily calorie need is for the weight you want to be and add calories to that to support your training program and daily activities. If I use 80 kg and my own assumptions you will need about 2400 – 2500 calories per day. If a person wants to loose weight and specifically body fat they will need to consume less calories than what their body needs and in your case you want to build muscle you will need an additional amount of about 15% extra calories and you need to be in a positive protein balance, which constitutes about 2, 5-3g protein per kilogram of body weight if you want to build.
Divide your energy need into six meals per day with the following ratio: 40-60 % carbs, 20-40% protein, and ONLY 20% fat of which most should be good fats (avo, olives, olive oil, safflower oil, nuts and seeds). Split these values into six meals per day – eating about every 3 hours – this keeps the body’s metabolism running.
Re the supplements – always take a liquid meal = protein & carb combination which is low in fat - this is known as a meal replacement supplement, without stimulants, immediately after your training session. This is where supplements play a role – you cannot depend on a plate of food to digest in time (max 45 min post exercise) to refuel the muscle stores that you have emptied during a training session. The only other place for a meal replacement supplement is when you do not have time to prepare food and you have to increase your protein intake then another one of these servings stand in for you as a snack meal. Lastly you can include a scoop or two of pure whey with your rolled oats in the morning and on its own before bedtime if you need to further increase your protein intake – it is just convenience!
This way you are not upsetting your body’s own workings with stimulants and hormones and you will certainly not feel fatigued again.

Good luck!
Vanessa