Question
Posted by: Garfield | 2009/10/23

Engagement Ring!!!

Hi CS,

My ex fiance has been phoning and I have ignored his calls. Then, this morning, an email comes through to my address, it is also addressed to both of my parents.

It is from the ex asking for my parents assistance as I am not responding to his calls. He says he is heavily indebted and needs their help getting the engagement ring that he gave to me back!!!!

Can you believe it? There was a time when I would have sold the ring, used some of the money to cover wedding deposits which I paid, give some to chairty &  then give him the rest towards his debts which he got from our engagement, but now he will never see a cent of it.

(He CHOSE to propose to me in the public and expensive way that he did, it came as a surprise to me  just the same as he CHOSE to break up with me countless times throughout our relationship, CHOSE to say terrible things and then say it was just because he was upset &  he didn' t mean them, CHOSE to permanantly remind me of how much the ring was and how is worried financially, CHOSE not to get help).

Sorry, I am just venting more than anything I guess, but can you believe it? I don' t think I am overreacting to this? And getting my parents involved, the absolute cheak!!

Would appreciate any comments to give me a sense of feeling ' normal'  about ths!

Thanks again,

Garfield

I think that's what is called Chutzpah ? What cheek ! If he's in financial dificulties, that's unfortunate, but presumably entirely his own fault. I'm not sure what the precise legal position would be, but it seems unlikely that he is entirtled to expect to demand that you give back a gift. If he chose to break-up, he must accept its consequences.
At least he has helped to confirm in your mind how lucky you are that he broke up with you, and how much of a non-loss he was !

4
Posted by: Garfield | 2009/10/24

Thanks Everyone!

Wise Owl, I intend to sell it and put the money towards my second degree :-))))))

Reply to Garfield
Posted by: Wise Owl | 2009/10/24

Hello ! Yes, what a cheek !! By no means give him the ring back, not at all, never ever ! Sell it and enjoy the proceeds. You don' t really want to keep it as it will just keep reminding you of the loser that gave it to you in the first place. Once you have sold it and enjoyed spending the money, he will finally be out of your life and you can move on. Be strong and don' t budge on this one, you are entitled to it.

Reply to Wise Owl
Posted by: almost mad | 2009/10/23

getting your parents involved was just bad! but I suggest giving him his ring and moving on. I mean, do you reallky want his ring along with his bad luck?

Reply to almost mad