Posted by: Krientjie | 2009-07-16

Energy vs Weight Loss

I have been training very hard the last month or so (Training for the 94.7 and triathelons). To keep up with the training program i need to make sure i take in enough carbs and other nutrients. But doing this causes me to maintain my little extra flab around my waist. How do you now how much to eat versus how much to energy you burn. If I don' t eat properly I feel run down. But if I eat or fill up my diet, I don' t loose weight.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Karien

Your question is very valid, because it all rests on calories. Use the following calculation to determine your calorie level add to that your training calories averaged out over a week. Split that value into 6 meals per day with at 50% carb, 30% protein and 20% fat ratio. Keep to low GI carbs and only use higher GI carbs during training and immediately after training. Consume at least 60 carb during this time – add a little protein (about 6%) – best is in the peptide format (we use peptopro). Also, make sure 2/3ds of your fats are good fats.

Weight (want to be) x 0.9 x 24 =
Add 10% for digestion of food =
Add your daily activity (120-250) depends on how active you are=
Add you exercise calorie usage, averaged out over a week – use a heart rate monitor.

If you still pick up weight cut the calories slightly – if the opposite , add a bit more calories.

Good luck hopes it goes well with the race!