Question
Posted by: Wayne | 2011/09/01

energy levels

hi, I am a very over weight 36 year old male, i have started to make excersise a way of life, and i have dne well, mentally i am strong and have been complamented that i have done well, have been doing it for 4 months now and i am at the gym 4-6 days of the week, i am doing spinning classes 2 during the week and a double class on a Saturday and circuits and weights the other day, my problem is that i am feeling very weak and have shortage of energy levels. My diet consists of Oats for breakfast, then USN Diet fuel for mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack, and luch i am having provetas with marmite or tuna and the evening a cooked meal, i also am eating fruits and drinking as much water as i can and i also have made my portions smaller. what do think could be the problem ?

Dear Wayne
Firstly congratulations on the progress you have made so far. It is excellent that you are doing so much exercise which will promote weightloss. The diet you describe, may lack sufficient carbohydrates to act as fuel for the amount of exercise you are doing. I would recommend that you make sure to eat a serving of carbohydrate with a low glycaemic index (GI) at each meal and for your snacks. Click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. You can also visit the Website of the Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the low-fat, low-GI diet. Individuals who do a lot of strenuous exercise need to ensure that they have an adequate carbohydrate intake to provide them with energy, otherwise they cannot sustain their exercise and end up giving up on their programmes - this is something you should avoid at all costs. One other factor that may be making you feel tired and weak, is loss of vital minerals such as potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium caused by excessive water intake. Please don't overdo your water intake because electrolyte losses can cause serious conditions. Don't drink more than 2,5 litres of liquid in total per day (this includes the water and any other beverages you may ingest like coffee, tea, milk, etc).
I sincerely hope that you will be able to lose lots of weight.
Keep up the good work

1

Dear Wayne
Keep up the good work