Question
Posted by: Lina | 2009-09-15

Energy foods

Hi there,

I suffer with low-blood pressure and hypoglycemia. I have to eat before I exersice or I get dizzy spells during my workout. Sometimes even when I have eaten quite a bit I still get these spells. What kinds of food can I eat before exersicing to prevent this?
At the moment I have a snacker so it helps. The thing is that I am trying to loose weight so I want to stay away from these sugary snacks.
Please assist. Also, I have to have sugar. I cannot stay away from it or I end up passing out during the day. How do I balance my need for a diet with my need to to eat the sweet things? Is there something I can eat that will help balance my sugar levels, stop the cravings and assist with the dizzy spells?

I only have 5 kgs to loose, these are very difficult to shed so I have to be on a strict regime or it wont budge. In the past I have just dieted as exersice was difficult without over eating but I am getting a little older now (30) and I really do need the exersice.

Thanks for your help

Dear Lina
Please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), not just for the weightloss, but most importantly to help you get your hypoglycaemia under control. You need to eat a low-glycaemic index (GI) diet and the dietitian will help you with the correct diet prescription. The worst thing you can do is to eat sugar when you suffer from a blood sugar low. What you need to do is to prevent these dips from occurring by eating low-GI foods and having 6 small meals spread out over the day so that your blood sugar can never reaches levels where you feel faint. The low-GI diet will also help with the weightloss. You can ask your gp to prescribe medications like Effortil for the low bp. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.
But please see that dietitian as soon as possible because you can injure yourself if you faint.

1
Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-09-15

My daughter' s sugar was 2.9 after swimming so I instructed her to eat somthing (she had bread with cheese) although fruit or juice before exercising is helpful or with a hypos.

Reply to Zexeon