Question
Posted by: Mom to be | 2011/10/04

Energy drinks whilst pregnant

I am 8 weeks pregnant, i had a UTI a week and half ago. My doctor also said i was dehydrated . How possible is this ? I do drink water and yet my lips are constantly dry. Can i take sports energy drinks(eg. Energade) to replace the loss in electrolytes or am i confined to just Rehydrate sachets ?

Dear Mom To Be
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am sorry to hear that you had a UTI and that you were dehydrated. It is important for all adults, esp pregnant moms to drink 2,5 litres of liquid per day (i.e. 10 x 250 ml cups). Liquids include tea, coffee, clean tap water, soda water, bottled or flavoured water, fruit juice, milk, etc. If your electrolytes are also depleted then you can use sports energy drinks like Energade, but keep in mind that they do have a higher energy content than Rehydrate sachets. If you are not overweight or tend to gain weight easily, then you can use diluted energy drinks or make up powdered Game with 50% more water than normal to replace the lost electrolytes. Conditions that can cause dehydration include vomiting and diarrhoea, so if you should suffer from morning sickness of an upset stomach then it is important to have additional liquids and to replace electrolytes.

1

Dear Mom To Be