Question
Posted by: Gillian | 2010-03-15

Energy Drinks

Dear Doc, I would like to know how damaging are health drinks like Play, Red Bull, etc. I just LOVE them and drink as if it were a normal cooldrink. I drink approx 1.5 litres of water per day, but I so enjoy the energy drinks. Should I rather stop?

Dear Gillian
The problem with these energy drinks is that they contain very high levels of caffeine which acts as a stimulant and can cause a variety of negative side-effects. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and do a Search for the article "Energy Drinks - Beware!" that I wrote last year to see exactly how much caffeine and other additives you may ingest when you drink these beverages. I would recommend that you reduce the quantity of caffeine-laced drinks that you drink, but do this gradually because caffeine in large amounts can become addictive and you may well experience withdrawal symptoms. Switch over the less potentially harmful drinks instead.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-03-15

Dear Gillian