Question
Posted by: Jigga Man | 2011-03-16

Energy Bars

I would like to know how healthy are energy bars and should I put them in my eight year old daughter`s lunch bag? There are quiet a few of them in the market now e.g. Pronutro, Coco Pops and Jungle Oats bars are all of these good for kids?

Dear Jigga Man
If your 8-year-old daughter is not overweight and is an active child who needs an energy boost, esp in the middle of the afternoon (for example if she does sport at school), then you can consider including an energy bar in her lunch box, but explain when she needs to use it (i.e. in the afternoon). Most energy bars have a very high energy and often also a high fat content, so it is actually better to rather include normal foods (yoghurt, wholewheat sandwiches with a protein filling like grated cheese, cottage cheese, lean meat, peanut butter, tuna or egg, some fruit and vegetable snacks, dried fruit, or a handful of nuts) in children's lunch boxes. I am planning to write a DietDoc article on energy bars in the near future, so keep an eye on the Diet 'n Food site for this article.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-03-16

Dear Jigga Man