Question
Posted by: J | 2011/05/12

ENERGY

Morning DD,

Please help. I might be a bit underweight, eventhough I eat more than I probably should. (I''m 26, 48kg, very small built - like the rest of the family). I have leftovers most days, and eat more that once at night - usually followed by chocolate / drinks. Snack throughout the day. I''ve never had to watch what I eat, but would like to change the way I eat, ''cause I''m always tired. Would also like to know why I am not putting on weight. Genes? I''m about 5f2, so should at least weigh 50? I do not exersize.

Dear J
If you are 5' 2'' tall (approx. 1.57 m) and weigh 48 kg, then your BMI = 19,5, which is underweight for your height. For an ideal BMI of 22, you would need to weigh 54 kg. I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to determine why you are always tired and why you don't gain weight, in case there is an underlying physical problem besides your unbalanced diet (i.e. excess thyroid hormone production which could account for not gaining weight, or iron deficiency anaemia or low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) which could be responsible for always feeling tired). If you are given a clean bill of health then your eating habits probably account for your symptoms. At this moment, I don't have an example of a balanced diet on this website, only a slimming diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of this diet). However, the slimming diet can serve as an example of a balanced diet, but you should eat much larger portions to increase your weight and you can also eat standard and not low-fat products like yoghurt. The diet contains adequate amounts of carbohydrates which should prevent tiredness, because carbs are an excellent fuel for physical activity. While you are on the 'DietnFood site', also click on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining', to read the articles about how to gain weight.
But first have that medical examination in case you do have another problem that is causing this tiredness and low weight.

1

Dear J