Question
Posted by: Mel | 2010/03/12

Energy

Hi Doc,

I run in the evenings after work (I''m not a morning person) and I sometimes find that I have no energy after the day''s work. Is there something I could eat or drink to give me a bit of an energy boost to get through my run?

Hi Mel

Probably not one thing, but you might benefit from changing your diet habits a little bit. For example, if you eat lunch and then nothing after, by the time you run at say 5pm, you might have had nothing for 4 or 5 hours. That's not good, and you might find that a mid-afternoon snack (sandwich or fruit) at say 3pm does the trick.

That, plus the type of food you eat might help, because you might just be eating things that are rapid energy providing and by the time you run, you're out.

I'd guess that this is the likely problem. Of course, it is acceptable to feel tired after a day's work, and so part of it is just getting used to extending your day beyond the 5pm cut-off, for example. Takes discipline and practice, but you might be able to do it!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/03/17

Hi Mel

Reply to fitnessdoc