Question
Posted by: Kurt | 2010/10/19

Endomorphic

Hi Diet doc

I''ve read through the endomorphic characteristics and noted that weight loss is a constant battle. What long term advice is available (general of course) to these body types, in order curb their natural fat storing capability?

I am aware exercise alone won''t help and that diet is crucial. But in my case for example, I had was on a general eating plan and had to lose 30kgs to be at my ideal weight. I plateaued after losing 10kg?

Is this normal for endomorphs or should the eating plan be tweaked to gain more weight loss?

Dear Kurt
Endomorphs do struggle not to gain weight, but there are many examples of people with this body build who do not carry extra weight. In general they do a great deal of aerobic or cardio exercise to counteract their genetic tendency to build up fat deposits. However if you are an endomorph and need to lose weight as in your case, then you should combine a lot of exercise (30 or more minutes a day) with a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) energy-reduced diet. Click on 'Diet and Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. You can contact The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the diet. Because the low-GI diet can be quite tricky to apply, I would also recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
Holding thumbs that the combination of exercise and a low-fat, low-GI diet will help you shed the remaining 20 kg.

1

Dear Kurt