Question
Posted by: mikale | 2008/10/13

Endomorph

I' ve been training and " dieting"  for some time now and My body seems to change slowly if at all. I read about the endo body type stating lots of cardio and the carbs must be kept low. I probably consume around 150g carbs a day now, I feel a little flat but still manage. I take lots of glutamine to try stay anabolic and eat lots of protein whilst consuming a fair amount of water. I am about 97kg' s, approx 17% bf and am fairly stocky (6ft). I run about 4 times a week -4,5km in the morning- train the body for life program at lunch time and twice a week I do 1,5 hours of fighting in the evening. Will I lose weight and still retain or even slowly gain muscle?

Thanks...

Dear Mikale
I do not agree with the principle that you should keep your carbs so low. You are already 'feeling flat' and will run out of energy to keep up your strenuous exercise programme. If you do want to lose weigh (or fat%) and build lean muscle then you need to increase your carb intake and reduce your protein intake. I would actually recommend that you contact the Department of Human Nutrition at the University of Potchefstroom because they have a section that specialises in sports nutrition. In the meanwhile click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportmen and women' esp the ones on carbohydrates, carbo-loading and proteins.