Posted by: Gatvol! | 2009-03-18

Endometriosis, CFS &  Fibromyalgia

In 2000 I was diagnosed with severe endometriosis and has since than had 1 laparoscopy and 5 lapscopes to clear the endometrium cells from my ovaries, uterus and rectum. Severity level: my ovaries was twisted and stuck to my uterus whilst my uterus was stuck to my rectum causing extreme pain. I considered having a hysterectomy but the gynae advised against it as I was too long to consider it (35 years old). It has been two years since my last op and I am in severe pain again. It feels like my ovaries is stuck to my lowerback/ rectum again. When I walk I have pain. When I pick anything up that has some weight to it - I am in pain. My period has also been irregularly lately.

I am not on the pill nor has the doc prescribed any medication to try and manage my periods. I do not want to go for another op. I am GATVOL. Last time it took 10 weeks to recover from a lapscope which should have taken 2 weeks. I am looking for alternative therapies. Can you assist?

I' ve done a lot of research on the internet and stumbled accross endocrinology and that it could assist in regulating the endometrium cells growth in my uterus. Is this effective?

I have since being diagnosed also been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia which are both linked to Endometriosis, as per the internet research I have conducted. So I am open to any new therapies or treatments that can assist in alleviating the pain and hopefully stop the growth of these cells.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Endocrinology means the study of hormones, so I am not sure what you mean in terms of treatment. There are medications that can be used for endometriosis, though they may not work if it is very severe. They include Depo provera, Zoloadex and Tridomsoe. I don.t know of any anternative treatments.

Posted by: Kg | 2009-03-19

I am suffering from both endometriosis and fybromyalgia. I have had about 8 labscopes to date but it always took me the most three days to recover. I suggest you consult for a second opinion. Maybe something wrong was done during the procedure. I have recently been diagonised for Fibromyalgia, although i have been having the condition for years now. I am seeing am seeing a physicain at present and i must say since i started taking the medication i pain is much better. I did ask him if there was and relation between endometriosis and fybrmulgia and he said no.

Reply to Kg
Posted by: Gatvol | 2009-03-19

Thanks Tasja for your comments.

From all the research I have done on the internet it appears that a hysterectomy is not always the cure to the problem. Gynaes cannot remove all the endometrium cells from the abdominal area. I am not looking at having any children but the thought of having a hysterectomy is not attractive after hearing from friends and reading up on the complications one can run into with such an op. Than there is the psycological effects in losing a part of your womanhood before being married.

I first want to try alternatives before I take the drastic step in undergoing more surgery to remove everything. The gynae suggested that it should also be considered as the last resort. But at the same time when I asked for alternatives I was only given the option of R3 000 a month medication. In SA there is not a lot of information or support available to endometriosis sufferers which makes it difficult to find out more about what alternatives is available to assist in alleviating the pain or curing (not one available yet) the disease.

Reply to Gatvol
Posted by: Tasja | 2009-03-18

Jinne hoekom gaan jy nie vir n 2 de opinie by n ander Gynae nie,jys nou al 37.En as jy kla kinders het of nie wil he nie,dan sien ek geen rede hoekom jy nie n Historektomie kan kry nie.Ek het ook Fibromialgie,en besluit om geen medikasie te drink nie,gee myt paniekaanvalle.Toe begin ek oefen,matig,by Curves.Ek voel baie beter,net my heupe en my voete is nog baie pynlik veral as ek lank gele het soos snags.Dis afterall jou keuse of jy een wil he of nie.Of hoe,se vir hom jy gaan jou polse afkou as hul nie iets vi jou kan doen nie!

Reply to Tasja