Posted by: Marike | 2010-07-16

Endometriosis and Yaz

Hi Doc,
I''''ve been using the pill for the last 10 years and I am always struggling with my weight. I was wondering if stopping the pill to loose weight will worsen my endometriosis?
I have also heard terrible things about using the pill too long and wonder if a bio-identical progesterone cream can substitute the pill? Is it a safer alternative?
My gynae doesn''''t seem to think theres any harm in Yaz, but I cant help being sceptical after all the things I read.

Unfortunately, a topical progesterone cream will not be as safe as the tablet, as the spesific dose can not be determined. It is true that the oral oestrogen, progesterone can have nasty side-effects but if you have not experienced any by now, it will be highly unlikely that you will have problems in the future. Stopping the contraceptive, will worsen your endometriosis.